Steel cut Oats – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Cloves, Cardamoms – 1 each
Cinnamon Stick – 1/4″
Fresh Mint leaves – 6
Onions chopped – 2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1/4 tsp
Canola/Olive Oil – 1tsp
1. Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and add 1/2 a cup of steel cut oats to it, give it a stir and let it cook for 20 mins.
2. When it is done remove from stove, add required amount of salt, throw in the fresh mint leaves and keep aside.
3. Take another small pan and heat the oil. Add the cloves, cardamom and chopped onion. Stir till the onions become translucent and golden. Add the ginger garlic paste and quickly fry a bit with the onions. Switch off the stove, pour this tempering over the cooked oats and enjoy.
1. Add the tempering to the cooked oats as quickly as possible. The cooked oats tend to dry out quickly. It should be like a porridge consistency, neither too runny nor too dry.
2. Another method of cooking the oat meal porridge is to fry the onions with the whole garam masala spices (cloves & green cardamoms), saute with the ginger garlic paste, add the water and when it comes to a boil add the oats and wait till they get cooked which is 20mins.
3. The mint leaves should not be added to the tempering, but to the oats as a finishing touch to
enhance the flavour.
4. The same methods can be followed with Quick Cooking Oats as well.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes