This is not only a quick and easy but a healthy version of cauliflower pepper fry dish that I created without any deep frying, keeping it light and simple but at the same time so flavourful and delicious.
I didn’t want to add any onions or tomatoes just to retain the original taste of the cauliflower and not over power it with too many spices either. I loved the light peppery flavour of this dish and never enjoyed cauliflower so much as I did this one. It not only had a slight crunch to it but also so juicy and tasty.
Here’s the recipe:
2 cups Cauliflower florets
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 tbs canola oil
1 tbs fresh curry leaves
2 dried red chillies
For the Pepper masala:
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 small green chilli
2 cloves of garlic
1. Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets, wash thoroughly in running water, put them in a bowl with two cups of water, turmeric and salt and let them soak in it for 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a strainer to drain. Set them aside.
2. Meanwhile grind together the pepper masala ingredients in a dry/wet grinder and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan or kadai. Toss in the dried red chillies, fresh curry leaves and when they begin to sizzle and change colour, add the cauliflower florets.
4. Sauté well till they turn golden brown.
5. Now add the ground pepper masala then add 2 tablespoons of water and mix well. Turn over and sauté well till the water evaporates and the pepper masala coats the cauliflower. Taste and adjust the salt according to your bliss point.
6. The cauliflower pepper fry is now ready to enjoy with rice or rotis.
1. You could add more green chillies or black pepper according to your spice level.
2. Drain the cauliflower florets well before tossing them in the tempered hot oil to avoid any spluttering of oil or burns.
3. The Cauliflower absorbs enough salt from soaking in salted water so there’s no need to add more salt, but you could do a taste testing in the end and check to see if it needs more. And if you want to add more salt do sprinkle a little water after adding it then sauté till the water evaporates.
Leave a Reply