Here’s the recipe!
Chicken whole – 1
Methi (fenugreek) leaves – 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Dried red chillies – 2-4
Green chillies whole – 2 – 4
White chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder – 1 tsp
Yoghurt – 1 cup
Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Lemon juice – juice of 1/2 a lime
Corn flour – 1 tsp
Half and half – 1/4 cup or use Coconut milk
Ghee – 1 tbs
Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
1. Clean, wash and cut the chicken into 12 pieces at the joints. Drain, towel dry the chicken pieces and keep them aside. Wash and dry the methi leaves and keep them aside.
2. Mix together 1/2 cup yoghurt, garlic paste, dhania powder, white chilli powder and vegetable oil. Rub the chicken with salt and lemon juice and leave for 10 mins. Then marinate the chicken with this marinade for about 2 hours.
3. Heat the ghee in a sauce pan. Add the dried red chillies and cumin seeds.
4. As soon as the cumin seeds crackle add the methi leaves and roast them on medium heat. This releases an aroma and the methi leaves turn dark green and crispy.
5. Add the marinated chicken to the pan. Roast the chicken well in the ghee till it is golden.
6. Whisk the remaining yoghurt well to dissolve any lumps and then add it to the chicken. Add the green chillies and mix well.
7. Add a glass of water, adjust the flavouring, add salt if necessary. Lower the heat and simmer till the chicken is tender and juicy.
8. Whisk the corn flour in one tbsp. water and add it to the chicken to thicken the gravy slightly.
10. Simmer for 2 – 4 minutes. Remove from the stove and serve hot with boiled or fried rice. Enjoy!