Trout green mango curry is a traditional south indian dish. The tanginess of the green mango imparts a great flavour to the trout – so delicious! As a child I always loved eating raw mangoes and also enjoyed them when cooked with fish or meat. Still cannot forget the taste of the fish curry with raw mangoes that my mom used to make for lunch in summer.
Here’s the recipe:
1 lb trout or any other fish fillets
1 large green mango
1 large onion
2-3 small green chillies
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red hot chilli powder (deggi mirch)
1/4 cup coconut milk (Cha’s organic premium coconut milk)
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbs vegetable oil
salt to taste
1. Clean wash and towel dry the trout or any other fish. Set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan, fry the sliced onion to golden brown.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red hot chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Stir and mix well.
4. Peel the green mango and cut into 4 quarters and add them to the onion masala.
5. Then immediately add the trout fillets too along with the green chillies. Turn over the fish pieces gently to mix with the masala. Cover and leave it to simmer on low flame till the mango becomes tender and the fish is cooked. Sprinkle a little water if the sauce is too thick.
6. Add the coconut milk, taste the sauce and adjust the salt. Let it thicken a bit on simmer. When you start getting the aroma, the fish is ready.
7. Garnish the trout curry with chopped cilantro and serve hot with boiled rice and enjoy!
1. Lift the pot with padded mitts or gloves and give it a shake gently. Do not use the spatula to turn over the fish fillets as they’ll break and you’ll be left with a mush.
2. Cook the fish just till the mango turns soft, but not too soft as to become mushy.
Some of the links on this post and below are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Should you choose to buy them you could click on these links to go to the respective sites and make your purchase. I would really appreciate if you do that. Thank you.