I have never tried jerk chicken from scratch, but always used either the dry jerk spices or the paste. I prefer the Grace jerk ground paste better than any other brand and I add some soya sauce, honey garlic barbeque sauce and ketchup to tone down the heat a bit and make it tangy and sweet.
Chicken drumsticks – 6
Grace jerk ground paste – 2 tbs
Honey garlic sauce – 2 tbs
Ketchup – 1 tbs
Soy sauce – 2 tsp
Vegetable oil for deep frying – 1 cup
1. De-skin, clean and wash the drumsticks and drain them in a colander or dry with a tea towel,
2. Rub them with the jerk paste and steam in a pot with just a little water till they are cooked. Allow them to cool.
3. Heat oil in a sauce pan and deep fry the drumsticks on medium heat Drain on wire rack and set aside .Do not throw away the left over juices from the steamed chicken.
4. In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, the honey garlic sauce and the ketchup. Add this to the left over juices from the steamed chicken with a table spoon of hot oil (use the oil in which the chicken was fried). Mix everything together on low heat.
5. Now throw in the fried chicken drumsticks and toss them in the sauce till it coats the drumsticks well and they get a glazed look.
6. Serve with steamed veggies of your choice. I served them with steamed beans and corn which I cooked in the microwave. Enjoy your jerk chicken with the veggies!
1. For steaming the corn just place it with the husk in the microwave for 4-5 mins on power 10. It tastes so good, much better than boiling it in water. So quick and easy as well as delicious!
2. As for the beans I cooked them in the microwave for 2 – 3 mins using the sensor cook function, then tossed them in the pan with some butter and olive oil, dried red chillies, slivered almonds, salt and pepper, stir fry them on medium heat till they are just rightly done and serve.