A delectable boiled egg sandwich made with baked eggplant slices which are coated with egg and panko crumbs for a delightful crunch. Those of you who are not fond of eggplants are sure to like this one, coz you can hardly make out it is eggplant.
1 Sicilian eggplant (sliced)
1 cup Panko crumbs
1 cup Corn flakes/ potato chips
2 tbs White flour
1 Egg (for egg wash)
1 tbs Milk
4 Hard Boiled eggs
2 tbs Olive oil
1. Cut the eggplant into 1/4″ slices, sprinkle with salt and keep them aside.
2. Whisk the egg with 1 tbs milk in a bowl. Put the flour, the panko crumbs and the crushed corn flakes separately in two other bowls
3. Slice the hard boiled eggs.
4. Take each eggplant slice, dust it with flour, then soak it in the egg wash, then coat it with the panko corn flake crumb mixture and keep it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle or spray the slices with olive oil.
5. Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 10 mins or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Another alternative is to fry the egg plant slices coated with crumbs on a non stick pan with a little olive oil.
6. Spread some mayonnaise and dijon mustard on one side of the 2 baked crispy egg plant rounds, place some boiled egg slices on the saucy side, sprinkle with salt and pepper, squirt some drops of ketchup then close it with the other eggplant slice with the saucy side down. Repeat with the other slices. You could add lettuce, tomatoes or dill pickles etc if you like. Cut them into halves and enjoy.
You may also like: