I had no onions at home as it was the end of the week and I wanted to make something different with the chicken, something flavourful and dry without any gravy, something quick and easy but also healthy. I finally decided to make roasted Kadai Chicken. The whole spices gave so much flavour to the chicken while it roasted in the pan and without the onions and tomatoes it tasted even better. Above all it was so quick and easy and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Here’s the recipe:
1lb Chicken pieces
2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp Deghi Mirch (Red chilli powder)
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
2 Green Chillies
Chopped Cilantro for garnish
Salt to taste
1 tsp Lemon juice
2 tbs Vegetable Oil
Kadai Roast Spices:
1tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
1tsp Black Pepper corns + 1/2 tsp for garnish
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + 1/2 tsp for garnish
4 Green Cardamoms
1 Black Cardamom
1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
2 Dried Red Chillies
1. De skin, cut, clean and wash the chicken pieces. Keep aside to drain.
2. Heat oil in a non stick sauce pan or wok. Crush all the Kadai Roast spices with a mortar and pestle except the dried red chillies, just pounding them once or twice.
3. Add the dried red chillies to the medium hot oil in the pan, followed by the crushed kadai roast spices. Give it a quick stir and toss in the ginger garlic paste, then add the turmeric, chilli, coriander and cumin powders and red pepper flakes.
4. Quickly add the chicken pieces to this roast masala, turn over and roast well in the pan. Add the green chillies, cover the pan and let it roast on medium low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Do not add any water. After 5 minutes the chicken would sweat out and be a little runny as seen in the picture above. Turn over, cover with the lid and leave to roast on low heat for 5 more minutes. Keep checking the chicken from time to time, turning it over as it roasts in the pan. In 10- 15 minutes the chicken is well roasted and ready.
6. Sprinkle the lemon juice, adjust the salt till it reaches the bliss point, garnish with 1/2 tsp pounded black pepper, 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes and chopped cilantro.
7. Serve hot with rice. I served it with khichdi rice, cranberry tomato chutney and salad.
1. If you want to make it less spicy omit the red chilli powder.
2. Eat the chicken as soon as it is done. The chicken loses its flavour on reheating over and over again.