The subtle anise like flavour of fennel combined with the sweet tart apple flavour is so beautiful, light and refreshing that this salad could make you feel like spring in the midst of winter. Fennel has the power to enhance the flavour of other foods with its mildly perfumed anise like flavour, liquorice taste and crunchy texture. It is more like a fruit than a vegetable and pairs well with apple. And the poppy seed vinaigrette kicks it up a notch!
1 Macintosh apple
1 fennel bulb
a few fennel bulb fronds
Poppy seed vinaigrette:
1 tsp poppy seed paste
1 garlic clove chopped or grated
1 tsp dijon mustard
juice of half a lime
1 tbs olive oil
salt and black pepper
1 tsp honey
1. Wash and towel dry the apple and fennel bulb and thinly slice the them. Finely chop the fennel fronds and toss them in.
2. Whisk together the poppy seed paste, lime juice, chopped garlic, dijon mustard and honey then trickle the olive oil little by little while whisking until it emulsifies. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle the desired amount of the lemon poppy dressing in the salad and enjoy!
1. Adding olive oil in a steady stream while whisking thickens the dressing.
2. You could add walnuts, almonds, pomegranate arils or dried apricots, cranberries etc to this salad. Use your imagination.
You may also like: