I love to eat the rainbow trout as it has a soft delicate buttery texture which melts in your mouth, an intense taste and a nutty flavour. I feel it tastes better than the salmon which is slightly bland compared to the trout though both belong to the same family. I I made this Thai style rainbow trout curry with fried long egg plants and it turned out delicious! It is a quick and easy dish ready in 15 minutes. You just need to have the red curry paste ready, no need of making it from scratch as you get a good quality one which is flavourful and fresh. It is available in asian grocery stores or in the international section of most regular grocery stores as well. I always buy the deboned rainbow trout whole fish filets from Costco as they are fresh. The fish skin should not be removed for this curry as it not only adds flavour and taste to the dish but is also packed with omega 3 fatty acids which we need. You could discard the skin while eating if you don’t like it. But the skin side of the fish should be cleaned well, all the scales and the black and white shiny coating should be scraped off with a sharp knife, then rinsed well. You could also rub a little salt on it gently then rinse the fish well. And for this curry the long chinese egg plants cut into 4″-6″ long pieces work very well.
2 Rainbow Trout whole fish filets (deboned)
1 Can Red Curry Paste
1-2 Long Chinese Egg Plants
A few Thai basil leaves
1 tbs Vegetable Oil
2 cups Coconut Milk (A taste of Thai brand)
1. Clean the skin by scraping the scales and the black and white shiny coating with a knife then rinsing it well. Cut each filet into 2 inch wide pieces. Drain, dab with paper towels and set aside.
2. To a sauce pan on medium heat add the vegetable oil, red curry paste and 1 cup coconut milk. Mix well, then add the fish pieces.
3. Cook on low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, then add the remaining 1 cup coconut milk. Leave to simmer.
4. Meanwhile Cut the egg plant into long pieces and deep fry them. Drain and add immediately them to the fish curry.
5. Simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes. Add the basil leaves just before serving. Enjoy!