Chicken breasts: 1kg cut into chunky cubes
Coconut milk: 1/2 cup thick and 1cup thin extract
Onions: 1 med size
Ginger: 1/2 an inch thinly diced
Green chillies – 2
Jalepeno pepper: 2-4 med size
Dry red chillies: 2 long
Red chilly flakes:1/2 a tsp
Whole coriander: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Lemon grass: 1 tbsp leaves chopped + 1inch stem
Fennel seeds: 1tsp
Green cardamoms: 4
Dry ginger powder:1tsp
Oil: 4-5 tblspns.
Juice of half a lemon
Salt to taste
1.Clean, wash and towel dry the chicken cubes. Rub them with salt and lemon juice and set them aside.
2. Grind together coriander seeds, fennel seeds, lemon grass, green cardamoms with ginger powder. Marinate the chicken pieces with this dry rub for 1/2 an hr.
3.Heat 2tbsps of oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces till they turn slightly golden on both the sides and keep them aside. Remove the charred remains from the pan.
4. In the same pan heat 2 more tblspns oil on medium heat. Roast together the dry red chillies, coriander and fennel seeds.
5. When they slightly change color add diced ginger and jalepenos deseeded and cut lengthwise. Lightly fry them for a minute.
6. Add the chopped onion and stir till it turns translucent. Now turn the heat to medium low and pour in the thin coconut milk followed by the fried chicken pieces and when it just begins to boil add the thick coconut milk.
7. Let the chicken simmer in the coconut milk and spices for sometime. Do not cook on high heat as this will curdle the coconut milk.
8. Add the appropriate amount of salt, throw in a few stalks of cut lemon grass, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with boiled or vegetable fried rice.