I love this dal for its amazing flavour. This is more or less like a lentil (dal) curry with zucchini slices cooked till just tender and then to give a unique taste it is flavoured with black seeds and cumin seeds. So nutritious and comforting to eat with rotis or rice.
1/2 cup Moong Dal (Yellow lentils)
1/2 Tsp Tomato paste
2 Tbs Chopped onions
1 Tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 Small Dried red chilli
2 Small Green chillies whole
1/2 Tsp Black seeds
1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
1Tbs Cilantro chopped
1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
1Tbs Canola oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the moong dal for 10 minutes. Slice the zucchini, chop the onions, grind ginger garlic paste and keep everything ready.
2. Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add the dried red chilli, black seeds, cumin seeds followed by chopped onions.
3. When the onions start turning slightly golden add the turmeric, ginger garlic paste and the moong dal after draining it.
4. Roast the moong dal till it no longer sticks to the pan.
5. Throw in the zucchini slices, gently turn them over with the dal and roast them too a bit.
6. Now pour in 2 cups of water, salt and whole green chillies.
7. Turn the heat to medium and cook till just done. The dal should be of pouring consistency – soft but not mushy and the zucchini not overdone either.
8. Add chopped cilantro, and serve hot with rice or parantas. You may add boiled eggs if you want, but slit them before adding them. Enjoy!