1 pack of fresh cranberries
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
10 thai red chillies (pricked)
10 pricked green chillies (optional)
4 dried red chillies (optional)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbs cumin seeds
1/2 tbs fenugreek seeds
1tbs red chilly powder
juice of one big lemon
6-8 garlic cloves peeled
2 crushed garlic cloves unpeeled
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp mustard seeds – 1tspn
1/2 tbs Kosher Salt or as required.
1. Wash and drain the cranberries and keep aside.
2. In a bowl mix together sun-dried tomatoes, peeled garlic cloves, thai red chillies and half the vinegar.
3. Dry roast separately the cumin and fenugreek seeds. When they cool down grind them and set aside.
4. Heat 1 cup of oil in a sauce pan. Add mustard seeds and when they crackle add the dried red chillies followed by the 2 crushed unpeeled garlic cloves and pricked green chillies (if left unpricked they burst when put in the hot oil). Then immediately add the cranberries, ground cumin-fenugreek powder and red chilly powder. The whole process has to be done very quickly and carefully without letting any of the ingredients burn.
5. Add to this, the sun-dried tomato mixture from the bowl followed by the remaining 1/2 a cup vinegar, salt, brown sugar and lemon juice. Give it a good stir and remove from pan.
6. Let it cool down, then fill it in a glass/ceramic jar. The cranberry sun-dried tomato chutney is now ready to enjoy.