The golden pomfret (pompano) is a soft mild flavoured fleshy fish with a buttery flavour and no fishy or gamy smell. When fresh it tastes very delicious. You can use any kind of spicy or herb flavoured marinade on it and it works very well. This time I used chaat masala along with the other spices and it was just so delicious! My husband who is always quite reluctant when it comes to eating fish, actually enjoyed eating it.
1 Golden Pomfret Fish (around 1.25lbs)
Juice of half a Lemon
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp Kashmiri Red chilli Powder
1 Tsp MDH Chaat Masala
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Tbs Olive/Canola Oil
Salt to taste
1 Clean the fish by scraping the skin and wash it till it is clean. Then cut into two filets by sliding the knife from the sides carefully. Do not remove the skin. You could ask the fish vendor to clean and make the filets for you which is much easier.
2. Sprinkle salt and lemon juice on the fish filets and rub them well.
3. Mix together the black pepper, turmeric, red chilly powder and chaat masala with the ginger garlic paste and smear this marinade on the fish filets. Leave to rest for half an hour.
4. Heat a cast iron frying pan, add 1 or 2 tsp of oil and place the fish on the pan skin side down. Let the fish get fried on the bottom for 2 minutes.
5. Set the oven to broil on high. Switch off the stove, drizzle the remaining olive oil on top of the fish and then place the frying pan with the fish on the top rack of the oven.
6. Broil the fish on high for 5 – 6 minutes till the fish is browned all over. Switch off the oven. Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy the crispy delicious mouth watering fish.