Yes, Black rice is the kind of food that can save your life! It is one of the special breeds of rice specifically reserved for kings in ancient times. It is chinese black rice and is different from wild rice and thai black rice. Rich in iron, vitamin E and full of antioxidants it has a natural healing power and anti-aging properties. It has more antioxidants than blueberries, less sugar and high fibre. It is a good substitute for prescriptive drugs which are taken to break down arterial plaque and fight high cholestrol levels. Unlike the prescribed medications it has no side effects. It has also become known as the ‘super food’ because of its high nutritional value. Read about the health benefits and some interesting facts on www.blackrice.com . Want to try it? It is available in Costco.
Black rice – 2 cups
Red pepper – 1
Green pepper – 1
Spring onions – 2 stalks
Cherry tomatoes – 10
Curly Parsely – 1/2 cup chopped
Olive oil -2 tblspns
Juice of 1 Orange
Juice of one lemon
Lemon zest – 1 tspn finely chopped
Chopped ginger – 2 tblspns
Dijon mustard – 1/2 tspn
Salt – 1/2 tspn
Black Pepper – 1/2 tspn
1. Wash the black rice 3 or 4 times in water and let it soak overnight or for at least 2 hours.
2. Boil the soaked rice in a large pot filled with water. Add 2 tbs salt and let the rice cook till it is just done (al dente not overcooked). Drain and set aside till it cools.
3. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables. Cut the green and red pepper into small dices, chop finely the green onions and parsley, deseed the cherry tomatoes, cut them into halves. Use paper towels to dab the vegetables dry.
4. Add the cut vegetables to the cooled black rice. Sprinkle salt and pepper as required. Mix well with a fork.
5. For the dressing whisk all the ingredients well. Keep aside.
6. Drizzle the dressing on the rice salad just before serving. Enjoy.