This salad tasted so delicious that I finished it all. The tartness of the apples with the delightful aroma of the mango ginger along with the other ingredients kicked it up a notch.
Mango ginger is a root vegetable like ginger with a slightly sour taste of unripe mango and a sharp spicy taste of ginger in a mild form. It has great health benefits. It is mostly used in pickles and can also be used as a flavouring to enhance the taste in meat, chicken or vegetable preparations. Here I used it in this salad with great success.
1 Tart apple
1 hot house Tomato
6 garlic stuffed big green olives
1 tbs pickled mango ginger
1/2 cup grated carrot
5-6 Red/green leaf lettuce
Sesame seeds for garnish
2 tbs Olive Oil
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp Harissa paste
1. Cut the apple into small dices. Chop the stuffed olives with the garlic and chop the pickled mango ginger.
2. Gently squeeze out the seeds from the tomato, remove its stem and cut into small dices.
3. Clean, wash, drain and dry the lettuce leaves.
4. Mix together the diced apples, tomatoes, grated carrots, chopped olives and mango ginger.
5. Prepare the dressing by whisking together all the dressing ingredients till it emulsifies and changes to a creamy texture. Add this dressing to the salad and quickly mix well.
6. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a salad plate. Spoon all the salad on to the lettuce leaves. Sprinkle some brown(roasted) sesame seeds on top for garnish. Serve immediately.
1. Add the dressing just before serving the salad or else it will turn runny.
2. You can pickle the mango ginger by adding vinegar and salt to peeled and diced mango ginger pieces then store in a clean glass bottle. You could use it in many preparations.